NORTH MISSISSIPPI RURAL LEGAL SERVICES (NMRLS) is seeking a
for its West Point branch office.
TITLE: Managing Attorney
The Managing Attorney is responsible for the supervision of the provision of a full range of
comprehensive legal assistance to eligible clients and client groups (hereinafter referred to
collectively as “clients”) as a practicing attorney, licensed in Mississippi, in accordance with
program guidelines, priorities, case handler standards & the Mississippi Rules of Professional
DUTIES: responsible for all phases of the following:
- Review work and conduct job performance evaluations once a year for all personnel for
which the attorney has supervisory responsibilities;
- Assist supervised personnel in professional development; and
- Review supervised employees' casework and caseload.
B. Client Advocacy
- Maintain an active caseload consistent with the duties of NMRLS staff attorneys;
- Co‐counsel with NMRLS staff attorneys on major law cases as appropriate; and
- Keep apprised of changes in the law and other issues that may affect NMRLS's client
population, and advise the Advocacy Director and other staff of such issues.
- Conduct or participate in training, public speaking forums, State Bar legal education forums
and other public functions on a regular basis;
- Serve as administrator of office policies and procedures;
- Represent the program at meetings and other external functions as may be required.
D. Management team
- Advise and assist the Management Team in the implementation of all NMRLS policies and
Must hold a JD degree and be licensed in the State of Mississippi at the time of hiring, or
become licensed within six months of becoming employed by NMRLS
Four (4) or more years’ experience at NMRLS or in legal services.
Demonstrated sensitivity to the legal problems of low income persons.
Strong writing, verbal, analytical and interpersonal skills are required as well as
Ability to train and supervise staff.
Such other experience, qualifications and
skills as are deemed appropriate.
SUPERVISOR: Advocacy Director
Salary depending on experience; excellent fringe benefits.
Open until filled.
Send resume, writing sample, and three (3) letters of reference to:
Gloria Bogan, Administrative Assistant
North Mississippi Rural Legal Services
P. O. Box 767
Oxford, MS 38655
(662) 234-8731, Ext 2110
Or e-mail resume to: email@example.com