NORTH MISSISSIPPI RURAL LEGAL SERVICES (NMRLS) is seeking a
VAWA Staff Attorney
for its Greenville branch office.
TITLE: Violence Against Women Act Project Staff Attorney
The Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of a full range of comprehensive legal assistance to adult and youth victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking who seek relief in legal matters arising as a consequence of that abuse or violence as a practicing attorney, licensed in Mississippi, in accordance with program guidelines, priorities, case handler standards & the Mississippi Rules of Professional Conduct.
DUTIES: Responsible for all phases of the following:
- Maintain an active caseload consistent with the duties of NMRLS staff attorneys;
- Keep apprised of changes in the law and other issues that may affect NMRLS's client population, and advise the Managing Attorney and other staff of such issues.
- Conduct or participate in training, public speaking forums, State Bar legal education forums and other public functions on a regular basis;
- Comply with office policies and procedures;
- Represent the program at meetings and other external functions as may be required.
Must hold a JD degree and be licensed in the State of Mississippi at the time of hiring, or become licensed within six months of becoming employed by NMRLS. Demonstrated sensitivity to the legal problems of low-income persons. Strong writing, verbal, analytical and interpersonal skills are required as well as good judgment. Such other experience, qualifications and skills as are deemed appropriate.
SUPERVISOR: VAWA Supervising Attorney
Salary depending on experience; excellent fringe benefits.
Open until filled.
Send resume, writing sample, and three (3) letters of reference to:
Gail P. Thompson, VAWA Supervising Attorney
North Mississippi Rural Legal Services
P. O. Box 1107
Clarksdale, MS 38614
(662) 627-4184, Ext 2303